Menno, SD – A woman is dead and several are injured after a natural gas home explosion in Menno overnight. It’s the second home explosion in the state in just two weeks. At around 11:30p.m. emergency crews responded to a tragic scene of devastation at 115 South Parks Street.

“We were watching TV and there was a huge bang and everything was flying in the front room and we didn’t know what happened,” said Darlene Aisenbrey, Neighbor.

And it was that loud explosion that created chaos for the town of Menno Monday night.

“This is the worst I’ve ever seen,” said John Huber, Menno Fire Chief.

As folks were just headed to bed they were rudely awakened.

“I’ve never heard anything so loud before in my life, it just shook the whole house,” said Ami Fischer, EMT.

“It’s like a terrible dream. I really didn’t know what happened. It just went so fast,” said Aisenbrey.

At around 11:30p.m. a natural gas explosion destroyed one home and extensively damaged the other homes on either side.

“When we first arrived on the scene, we could hear the gas, so if it was leaking that bad while the house was standing, but it was really leaking when we showed up. We could hear it,” said Huber.

And along with all the destruction, this explosion tragically took the life of the sole woman living inside the exploded home.

“She was a very sweet person, very kind, very loving and I feel very bad about it and I feel so sorry for her folks,” said Aisenbrey.

“Everybody knows her because she works at the Post Office every Saturday and she is just a very nice lady, she is going to be missed very much,” said Fischer.

Now all folks in Menno can do clean-up and remember their great co-worker, neighbor and friend.

Several other people were injured from this explosion. One was taken to Sioux Falls and the other to Freeman Hospital for treatment.

Menno’s Fire Chief reminds folks that if you do smell natural gas in your home, to get out of your home and call the utility company.

Currently Crews are on the scene and they will begin the clean-up and investigation later this morning.