Jacksonville, Fl. – The woman who was in the Westside home where there was an explosion last night has died.
The state Fire Marshal’s office identified the woman as 73-year-old Eunice Lovering. She died in the hours following the explosion.
It happened at a home at Broadway Ave. and Scotia Road, just southwest of Commonwealth and Edgewood.
Investigators say the owner of the home had her propane tank refilled Wednesday with about 50 to 100 gallons of gas. They say there may have been a leak in the gas line.
They say something sparked a massive explosion and lifted the house partially off its foundation, and then it collapsed on itself. The home is a total loss.
The woman was taken to Shands Jacksonville.
A woman at the scene who lives several blocks away told First Coast News she felt her house shake earlier in the evening.
Vanessa Smith says she then witnessed several fire trucks, police cars and ambulances go by her house. She got in a car with her husband and drove down the street to see what happened.
“It looks like the house just imploded on itself,” said Smith. “The back part of the house just fell off the foundation and the garage is on the ground.”
Smith says the air around the house smelled like sulphur.