Wilmington, DE – A carbon monoxide leak in a Wilmington apartment left one person ill and six people displaced, according to the Wilmington Fire Department.

Firefighters were dispatched at about 1:16 p.m. to an apartment in the 400 block of West Seventh Street for a report of a sick person, Battalion Chief Timothy Perkins said.

Upon arrival, a person with flu-like symptoms was located and multi-gas meters were used to determine if carbon monoxide was present, he said. A unvented hot water heater and a heater located in the basement were quickly identified as the source of carbon monoxide, Perkins added.

Three people — one adult and two children — were taken to Wilmington Hospital and the incident was placed under control byIncident Commander Battalion Chief Carl Zipfel.

Wilmington License and Inspection also responded and condemned the property due to “hazardous conditions,” Perkins said, resulting in three more residents of a second apartment being displaced.