Morgan County, WV – An elderly woman who died in a house fire in Berkeley Springs Tuesday morning has been identified as 66-year-old Carol Pospisil.
“She was kind of glamorous in a way, though an independent sort of woman,” her neighbor, Karl Krachenberg told NBC25.
Fire officials say they found oxygen tanks in her home and a propane tank outside, which may have caused the fire.
They said she had the oxygen tanks inside the house to help her breathe. The propane tank had been refilled the day before.
Several neighbors heard an explosion before noticing the fire.
“I Iooked out the window, thought I saw orange,” Karl Krachenberg told NBC25.”I was afraid it was my garage that was on fire.”
Instead, flames were shooting through 119 Palm Lane.
Firefighters were on the scene in minutes.
“They came out and found a fully involved house fire continued to make attack,” said Patrick Barker, West Virginia State Assistant Fire Marshall.
Berkeley Springs Fire and Rescue crews were the first on the scene but called in additional help. Because this road is in a rural area, crews had to pump water through a five inch hose off the Main Street and connect the hose to the truck so that they could get water to the house. Little is left of the home; even the floors collapsed.