Columbus, OH – When the natural gas explosion Wednesday on West Broad Street hit parked cars, it also took a family’s Christmas.
Cierra Jones had her new car for less than two months when the explosion hit. Inside the car, she was keeping Christmas gifts for her children. Those gifts are now gone.
“I was thinking we could get inside of the trunk to get something out, but it’s all gone,” she said. “I’m devastated. I’m hurt. I’ve been crying all morning.”
The mother of three young children, Jones had just picked up gifts from the Walmart layaway before heading to the Nationwide Children’s Hospital primary care center for her son’s physical. They smelled gas while in the waiting room and staff evacuated them out the back door.
“The building exploded as we were coming down the stairs to get out of the building,” Jones said. “I fell on top of my son and someone fell on top of me. We went to the hospital yesterday and everything.
Today, it just didn’t get any better.”
The explosion took barbies, remote control cars and robots Jones had purchased for her kids, ages 3, 4 and 9.
“I don’t know. I don’t know what you’re going to tell them,” she said. “I don’t know what you’re going to tell a 3-year-old and a 4-year-old at this time. Christmas is not going to be what I thought it was going to be this year at all.”