Waterboro, ME- A 55-year-old Waterboro man had to be taken to Maine Medical Center last night for treatment of minor cuts and burns after the propane fireplace he was trying to light exploded.

Fire Chief Matthew Bors said the man, whose name was unavailable, was attempting to light a gas fireplace insert when it blew up. He sustained burns to his hand and face, while an exterior chimney was blown off the house.

The explosion took place around 4 p.m. at 96 Panoramic Drive in Waterboro.

“He was very lucky,” Bors said, referring to the man’s injuries and minor damage to the house.