Danville, IL – The Vermilion County coroner is warning people about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning following the death of a 91-year-old Danville man on Monday.

Coroner Peggy Johnson said that Francis Harlan Hathaway was pronounced dead at 2:34 p.m. at his home at 2 S. California Ave. A blood test at a local hospital showed that he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Johnson said his death is being ruled accidental.

Johnson said that prior to his death, Mr. Hathaway apparently returned to his home, parked his car in an attached garage and forgot to turn off the motor before entering the home. She said the man’s son stopped by to check on his father and found him in the back of the house.

“It’s a sad reminder that now that the weather is turning colder, everyone needs to have a carbon monoxide detector and if they have one, they need to make sure it’s working properly and that the batteries are good,” Johnson said.

She added that Mr. Hathaway did not have a carbon monoxide detector in his home.