Wakeeney, KS – An August hailstorm in Trego County caused significant damage to homes and buildings. Midwest Energy Company says it is also contributing to an increase in carbon monoxide poisoning.

One Wakeeney family says they’re thankful to be alive after the deadly gas seeped into their home.

Cherell Owens was in bed when she said she heard an unfamiliar cry come out of her one- year- old’s room. Moments later, Owens son was unresponsive.

“I didn’t even know what to do honestly,” she said.

Owens called out for help from her boyfriend, Derick Day. But, soon after they called 911, Day also became unresponsive.

“He just stood there and looked at me, like blank looked at me, and so I took Price out of his arms, and right after I took price Derick just went down collapsed to the floor,” said Owens.

She says her home didn’t have a carbon monoxide detector to alert them that their natural gas vent on their roof wasn’t working properly. She says that trapped carbon monoxide inside their home.

“Carbon monoxide imparticular is dangerous because it’s colorless and odorless. So if its present, you have no way of knowing without a c-o detector in your home,” said Mike Morely, Communications Director for Midwest Energy.

“I fully believe that if we had it it wouldn’t have gotten to the levels that it did,” said Owens.

When the paramedics arrived, they gave oxygen masks to the family and told them that their son had a small seizure. The family is recovering and now has a carbon monoxide detector in their home.