Vicksburg, MS – A Vicksburg family is recovering from what the fire chief is calling carbon monoxide poisoning.

CBS affiliate WJTV reports it happened at the family’s home on Demby Drive. Chief Charles Atkins says the family’s furnace malfunctioned, releasing the carbon monoxide. The chief says they did not have a carbon monoxide detector in the home.

Two adults and three children were asleep at the time. A relative stopped by the house, woke up the family and got them out of the house.

Chief Atkins tells WJTV that the family is doing fine. They were treated and released at a local hospital.

They’re staying with relatives until their furnace is fixed.