Filled ApartmentPittsburgh, PA – A carbon monoxide detector is credited with saving the life of a young Pittsburgh woman on Tuesday night.

Firefighters evacuated an apartment building in Shadyside after a carbon monoxide detector alerted the residents of the building in the 5000 block of Fifth Avenue that something was wrong.

When crews arrived shortly after 8 p.m. they found the building, which contains eight condos, filled with the deadly gas.

Firefighters rescued one unconscious woman from the building.

Authorities found a significant gas leak from a furnace that had been recently installed in the apartment where the 24-year-old woman was rescued.

The woman was taken to UPMC Presbyterian, where she regained consciousness but was disoriented. She was last listed in good condition.

Residents are allowed to go inside the building again, and a repair company has fixed the problem with the woman’s furnace.