Richfield, UT – An elderly man and his grandson were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Sevier County on Saturday, after they pulled a cover over their boat to escape the rain on Fish Lake.
Sheriff’s deputies responded to the lake around 1:40 p.m. after witnesses called authorities with concerns about a boat on the lake, according to a news release from the Sevier County Sheriff’s Office.
Rescuers found the man and his grandson, who were taken to a local hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, the release states. Sheriff’s deputies were told by the man that he pulled a cover over his boat to avoid the rain, according to the news release.
Nathan Curtis, a spokesman for the Sevier County Sheriff’s Office, said it’s likely that exhaust from the boat motor became trapped under the cover and caused the poisoning. An updated condition report was not available late Saturday.