Fort Walton, FL – Two Fort Walton Beach area residents were flown to Pensacola hospitals early Wednesday after being overwhelmed by carbon monoxide gas.

The Ocean City-Wright Fire Department was called to 740 Mayflower Avenue at 3:18 a.m., according to Capt. Billy Lord.

They arrived to find carbon monoxide levels of 400 parts per million, said Fire Chief Randy Brown.

“That’s unbelievably high,” Brown said. “35 parts per million is when it starts to be notnot good.”

Two as-yet unidentified residents of the home were rescued, Lord said. One was listed as “unresponsive but conscious” on an incident report. A helicopter landed at Choctawhatchee High School to carry them to Pensacola hospitals.

The Okaloosa County Sheriff’s Office also responded to the scene.

Okaloosa Gas is investigating to determine the cause of the carbon monoxide leak, Lord said.