Savannah, GA- Two people were injured Thursday morning during an explosion firefighters say was apparently caused by an open gas line in an efficiency apartment.Savannah Firefighters were called to Clemson St. a little after 8am when people who live in the neighborhood reported hearing an explosion. Arriving firefighters found heavy smoke and flames coming from the small apartment at the back of the one story house.Firefighters were able to quickly put the fire out, but only after the home sustained severe damage.Two people were inside at the time of the fire. Both sustained injuries and were taken to Memorial after treatment on the scene.They have since been transferred to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Augusta. The extent of their injuries and their conditions are not known at this time.

Savannah fire investigators inspected the scene and determined that the victims were apparently moving into the apartment when the fire occurred. Investigators believe that gas from an open natural gas line in the apartment was ignited when one of the victims attempted to light some incense, causing the explosion and fire.There was no extension of the fire to the main house and no other injuries were reported as a result of the incident. Atlanta Gas Light representatives are also investigating the incident.