Enid, OK – KOCO TV – Firefighters said a gas leak from a hot water heater caused the explosion and fire that left Walter and Ollie Thane with serious burns.

According to investigators, the gas was ignited by the pilot light on the couple’s kitchen stove. Two children who live next door to the home were the first to notice the explosion and the fire that followed it.

“I was going into my mom’s bedroom to watch TV, and then I heard a big pop or something,” said neighbor Savannah Boyd. “And then I looked outside my mom’s window and saw a big electrical wire right here.”

Witnesses said Ollie Thane was on fire when she exited the home. Walter Thane burned himself while trying to extinguish the flames.

The couple drove themselves to the hospital. They were later taken by Mediflight helicopter to a Wichita hospital.

Walter Thane received burns on about 20 percent of his body. Ollie Thane received burns on 50 percent of her body.

Their respective conditions were not known Thursday evening.