Norwalk, OH – By HEATHER CHAPIN-FOWLER, Norwalk Bureau

Two Greenwich Township residents are in critical condition at a Cleveland hospital as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, attributed to last week’s ice storm, said Tri-County Fire District Chief David Seidel.

Father and son Dennis and Brad Hartley of SR 13, Greenwich Township, are at St. Vincent Charity Hospital in Cleveland where they were listed in critical condition last night, said a hospital spokesperson.

The Hartleys’ home lost power and they were operating a gas-operated generator in their home’s basement Thursday when they were stricken, according to a family friend.

Dennis’ wife found the two unconscious in the living room when she got home Thursday afternoon, but it is unknown how long the two were exposed to the gas, according to the friend.

Two other people who live on South Kniffin Street in Greenwich were also exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide, but escaped without serious injury, said Seidel. The carbon monoxide was produced by a gas-operated appliance that malfunctioned during the power outage on Thursday, said Seidel.

The ice storm knocked out power to thousands of customers but as of last night only a few residents were still without power, according to Huron County Emergency Management Director Bill Ommert.