Cabazon, CA – The Press-Enterprise

Two men suffered severe burns when a faulty dryer connection caused an explosion in a garage in Cabazon at about 12:15 p.m. on Sunday, fire officials said.

Firefighters arrived at a home in the 14000 block of Ana Maria Street in Cabazon and found the garage on fire and two adult men with second and third degree burns to 15 percent of their bodies, said Lori Hoffmeister, spokeswoman at the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

The two men were taken by helicopter to the Arrowhead Regional Medical Center burn unit in Colton, Hoffmeister said.

Firefighters put out the fire and kept it contained to the garage, she said. A small propane gas leak from a faulty gas connection between the gas outlet in the new home and a dryer created the explosion. When one of the men pressed the button to open an electric garage door, the gas exploded, Hoffmeister said. Fire officials did not know the ages and names of the burn victims.