Hyannis, MA – Two people were taken to the hospital late Thursday for carbon monoxide poisoning after they ran a generator in an unventilated garage, according to a Hyannis fire official. The injuries were considered non-life-threatening.

During Thursday’s snowstorm, the fire department received a call at around 11:30 p.m. from a person at a house on Mitchell’s Way who said that the carbon monoxide detector was going off and that one person didn’t feel well, Hyannis Fire Captain Thomas Kenney said.

At the house, firefighters found levels of carbon monoxide in the range of 55-to-80 parts per million when a range of 2-to-7 parts per million is reasonable, Kenney said. Generally, a level of 35 parts per million or higher calls for an evacuation of the building, he said.

A man in the house had been throwing up, and the woman in the house didn’t show any outward signs of illness, Kenney said. They were taken to Cape Cod Hospital.

The people had recently purchased the carbon monoxide detector, he said.

The power had been restored to the house and the generator had been turned off when the call came into the fire department, Kenney said. The firefighters stayed on the scene to ventilate the house, he said.