Salem, OR- KOIN News – Barbeque Was Used To Heat Home

The Salem Fire Department is reminding Oregonians to avoid any indoor barbeque use during winter.

Fire crews had to rescue two young girls who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning yesterday after the family’s heat had been shut off and they were trying to warm their house with a barbeque.

Authorities say both girls were both very ill when crews arrived, but had recovered after treatment at Salem Hospital.

Fire officials say the holidays are one of the most dangerous times of year for household fire and health hazards.