Hemby Bridge, NC – Fire crews in Union County responded to calls of an explosion around 7:45 Saturday night in Hemby Bridge, North Carolina. When they got there, they found that it was a natural gas explosion.

Two firefighters had heat-related injuries and were taken to local hospitals. The Union Co Deputy Fire Marshall says that they are doing just fine today.

This natural gas explosion happened on Colchester Road in Hemby Bridge. Two other homes were also damaged. The Deputy Fire Marshall says that a gas leak from the hot water heater located in an attached garage ignited the heater and caused the explosion.

Neighbors heard the explosion and reported seeing flames shooting several feet in the air.

No one was home at the time of the explosion. The owner and his child are now staying with relatives. The house has been deemed a total loss.