Pocatello, ID – A man was hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday afternoon following an incident that could have easily had tragic results in south Pocatello.

The man, whose identity has not yet been released, was transported via Pocatello Fire Department ambulance to Portneuf Medical Center after a space heater at the Samuel Street auto repair shop where he was working began leaking carbon monoxide.

The man dialed 911 around 1 p.m. when he started feeling ill. He had no idea at the time that the repair shop was full of toxic carbon monoxide gas, which is colorless, tasteless and odorless.

A Pocatello Fire Department ambulance responded and upon entering the auto repair shop the paramedicsÂ’ carbon monoxide detectors sounded an alarm that the building was full of the gas.

Every Pocatello Fire Department paramedic wears a carbon monoxide detector for just such incidents.

The man was transported to PMC, but a condition report on him was not available as of Saturday night.

The man was the only person in the repair shop at the time of the incident.

Firefighters said that if the man had not called for an ambulance and had the paramedics not been wearing their detectors, the incident could have easily led to tragedy.