Key West, FL -Fire officials said an Iowa family was treated for carbon

monoxide exposure six days before the toxic fumes contributed to the death

of a 26-year-old tourist who stayed in the same room at the upscale resort.

But Key West Fire Chief David Fraga said his agency did not have enough

information to suspect the problem was at the Doubletree Grand Key Resort,

the city’s second largest hotel.

“We never received any information indicating that there was a problem at

the Grand Key,” Key West Fire Chief David Fraga said in at statement

released Saturday. “Had that been the case we certainly would have followed


Thomas Lueders, 26, and his father Richard, 53, both of Grosse Pointe Park,

Mich., were found unconscious in room 416 of the hotel. Thomas Lueders died

of carbon monoxide poisoning at a local hospital, authorities said. His

father survived emergency treatment.

An investigation found a boiler room next to the fourth floor room created

an “abnormally high level of carbon monoxide” in the room. Carbon monoxide

is odorless, colorless and tasteless.

Authorities shut down the 216-room resort on Friday.

Both Fraga and resort officials declined to comment on the investigation


The Iowa family also stayed in room 416. Emergency workers treated them on

Dec. 21 authorities said.

Rescue workers initially thought the family had food poisoning. But doctors

determined they were suffering from carbon monoxide exposure and sent them

to Mariners Hospital in Tavernier for treatment in a hyperbaric chamber.

Lower Keys Medical Center Chief Operating Officer Meylan Lowe-Watler said in

a statement the hospital “did notify the Doubletree hotel of the potential

carbon monoxide exposure. Police, rescue and fire personnel were also aware

of the events.”

But Fraga said the Iowa family rode in a boat and did other activities that

could have exposed them to carbon monoxide before they fell ill.

“If there had been any indication that the carbon monoxide gas had come from

the hotel, of course we would have responded immediately and investigated

the problem,” Fraga said in the statement. “I wish there had been so that

the horrible events of (last) week could somehow have been prevented.”