Miami, FL – Authorities Say Gas Leak Sparked Flames

A gas leak in an apartment sparked an explosion and fire in west Miami early Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Capt. Al Cruz said the 2 a.m. explosion blew out the walls and windows in four apartments near the intersection of Bird Road and the Florida Turnpike.

Two adults and one child were injured and taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital.

“The cause of the fire is propane leak. There was a gas leak,” Cruz said.

Emiro Raymond told NBC 6 he heard the explosion and tried to put out the flames.

“It was like 2 in the morning and then I heard the huge explosion, windows, blasts coming out. The people in the apartment were coming out burned and everything was chaos,” Raymond said. “I grabbed a couple of buckets, went down stairs, called the police. Three or four more people came and we just took water from the pool and threw it on the apartment.”

“The kitchen was a mess,” he said. “I think it was a gas leak because we were throwing water at the kitchen but it wouldn’t go out.”

The complex had 54 units, but many were empty because the apartments are being converted to condos.

Cruz said up to 50 people were evacuated.

NBC 6’s Tina Conte reported that 25 residents will not be able to return to their homes because of concerns about the gas leak. The Red Cross said it expects to provide temporary lodging for about 20 people.