Phoenix, AZ – AZ Central – Carbon monoxide poisoning apparently caused the deaths of three men whose bodies were found in an apartment Saturday morning, Phoenix police said.

The bodies were discovered by a man who went to the apartment on 19th Avenue in north Phoenix just after 8 a.m. to pick up his friend for work. When no one answered the door, he opened it, saw the lifeless bodies and called police, Sgt. Andy Hill said.

Arriving officers found the three victims dead and a portable gas-powered generator set up to provide electricity, Hill said. The men probably died from exposure to the fumes from the generator, but official word will come after an autopsy.

Using gasoline-powered equipment inside a home is a recipe for disaster, Hill said, and others in the apartment complex were lucky they weren’t affected too.