Taylor, TX – One man was in critical condition Monday after his Taylor home was destroyed in a weekend explosion.

Taylor Fire Chief Bruce Watson said the explosion occurred about 4 p.m. Sunday, after residents inside smelled a leak from a propane tank outside the house at 1800 FM 112.

What sparked the explosion is still unknown, officials said.

Freddie Garcia, who officials said is about 30 years old, was taken to Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple with second- and third-degree burns. He remained in critical condition Monday afternoon, a hospital spokeswoman said.

A 10-year-old girl, whose name was not released by officials, was also injured in the fire. Watson said the girl was Garcia’s daughter and she was released from Scott & White on Sunday with minor burns.

Watson said about seven people, most likely family members, were inside at the time but most escaped through the back of the house while Garcia attempted to climb out a window.

The house was a total loss, with only a few charred beams left standing. Officials said the propane tank was used for home heating and cooking.