Tampa, FL – Residents in a building at the Cordoba & Beach Park Condos in Tampa were evacuated from their homes early Thursday morning due to a carbon monoxide alarm sounding.
Crews say one neighbor’s quick action helped save another’s life.
Christina Huff says she woke up at around 2 a.m. when she heard both of her carbon monoxide detectors go off.
She didn’t smell anything until she stepped outside.
“It was something that wasn’t right in my garage,” she said.
So she dialed 911.
When Tampa police and fire responded to the building, the firefighters detected high levels of carbon monoxide in one condo building.
Officials went door to door to clear the building. One condo was vacant at the time. A 32-year-old female and a small dog were found inside a second condo. The woman the dog were unresponsive but firefighters gave both of them oxygen and administered life saving measures. The female was transported to Tampa General Hospital and a neighbor is taking care of the small dog. Both the woman and the dog are expected to survive.
“It’s very scary to know that she could have died and I could have died and all of my neighbors could have been seriously hurt,” said Huff.
She says she grew up always having a carbon monoxide detector in her home and is glad she had one that morning.
“They’re about $10,” said Huff, “just put some batteries in them and it could save your life.”
Officials found that the source of the carbon monoxide was a vehicle left running in an enclosed garage in the apartment complex where the woman was found unresponsive.
They think the woman accidentally left her car running adding she has a push-button, keyless car.