Tacoma, WA- Residents of a 16-unit apartment complex on the 300 block of North Tacoma Avenue were evacuated overnight for a gas leak that sent carbon monoxide into multiple apartments.

One of the people who lived there called 911 just before 1 a.m. after returning home to find a carbon monoxide alarm in his apartment going off. The man told firefighters his apartment smelled like natural gas.

Tacoma Fire Department crews went into the apartment and found high readings of carbon monoxide. A neighboring apartment had similar readings, according to Battalion Chief Brian Hardy.

Firefighters evacuated the complex and had the gas turned off. A malfunction with the boiler caused the leak, Hardy said.

Twenty-two residents were displaced for roughly an hour while crews ventilated the building. Each unit was inspected before people were allowed to return.

The apartment complex contacted a company to fix the boiler, Hardy said.