MO – Seven houses were evacuated Saturday afternoon after a leak caused natural gas to rise to dangerous levels.

No one was hurt, fire department spokesman Capt. Bob Keuss said.

Authorities were notified about the leak at 1:30 p.m. It closed down the 4100 block of Burgen Avenue, near the intersection of Bates Street and

Morganford Road, for hours.

Laclede Gas crews found the source of the leak under the street and dug to relieve gas pressure and fix the problem, Keuss said. Authorities allowed residents to go home shortly before 5 p.m.

Firefighters detected high levels of gas in a house that was undergoing renovation and were worried about an explosion. Leaking natural gas seeps toward the easiest route and can cause an explosion if it builds up and a spark ignites it, Keuss said.