Smallwood, NY- A 49-year-old man remains in critical condition after an explosion Friday threw him out of the front of his house in central Sullivan County.

Bill King suffered serious burns, especially to his face and hands, when the explosion blew out the front of his house on Read Avenue in Smallwood just before 8 a.m. King was flown to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla. A hospital spokesman Tuesday morning said King was still in critical condition.

County Public Safety Commissioner Dick Martinkovic said the explosion was caused by a small leak in the propane hose leading to King’s clothes dryer. The explosion was ignited when King started the dryer.

The Smallwood Fire Department put out the house fire, and was assisted by the White Lake and Kauneonga Lake fire departments. State police also responded.