Brockport, NY – Gary McLendon, Democrat and Chronicle.com – Six students from the State University College at Brockport required treatment Wednesday after potentially lethal levels of carbon monoxide were detected in their off-campus housing.

Carbon monoxide — an odorless, colorless gas — is deadly when air levels reach 250 parts per million.

“In parts of the house it got as high as 900 parts per million,” said Brockport Fire Department spokesman Christopher Martin. “Based on what we found, they are lucky to be alive.”

There were no carbon monoxide or smoke detectors in the two-apartment house, a violation of village code, according to Brockport officials.

The students were treated at nearby Lakeside Memorial Hospital and discharged.

About 30 Brockport fire, police, medical and Rochester Gas and Electric personnel responded to the house at 82 Holley St. at 12:24 a.m. The students had first called RG&E. The utility then notified the Brockport Fire Department. Firefighters discovered a combination of carbon monoxide and furnace exhaust escaping into the house.

“There was no carbon monoxide detector; they are required to have one in the property. That would have acted as an early warning device,” Martin said.

Property owner Arden Campbell of Sweden said Wednesday night that the house had the detectors when it passed its Certificate of Occupancy inspection in December 2002.

Campbell said he was told by the property manager that the detectors were there when it was rented in August.

Officials closed the house until the violations are fixed and the house is reinspected, said building inspector Scott Zarnstorff.

Campbell said his manager found temporary housing for the students.