Springfield, OH – Several people were taken to Adena Regional Medical Center from a Schrake Road home for carbon monoxide poisoning late Thursday afternoon.

Springfield Fire Chief Tim Karshner said the people were taken to the hospital to be checked.

“I don’t have information on their condition,” he said.

Scanner traffic indicated all six people were conscious but exhibiting symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. Further information on the condition of the group was not available. Adena reported no unusual conditions through the emergency department during the winter storm this week.

While power and heat is out, many are turning to kerosene heaters and other heat-source alternatives, but it is important to be careful. Carbon monoxide is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood or charcoal is burned. At high levels, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency reports carbon monoxide can kill a person in minutes, but if appliances that burn fuel are maintained and used properly, the amount of carbon monoxide produced usually is not hazardous.

Fetuses, infants, elderly people and people with anemia or with a history of heart or respiratory disease can be especially susceptible.

Symptoms of moderate levels of carbon monoxide poisoning include severe headaches, dizziness, confusion, nausea or faintness, while low levels can cause shortness of breath, mild nausea and mild headaches. Long-term exposure at moderate levels can be deadly, while long-term exposure to low levels may have longer-term effects on a person’s health, according to the EPA.