Sherman, TX – An elderly Sherman couple is recovering from what authorities are calling a near fatal carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Sherman Fire Marshal’s office says an 83-year-old woman called 911 this morning, telling emergency officials her husband was unresponsive.

When first responders arrived, they immediately removed the couple from the home. They’re being treated at a local hospital.

The couple did have a Carbon Monoxide detector installed in their home–but had disabled it.

“The lady said that she was woken up around 3 am by her carbon monoxide detector, she thought it was malfunctioning so she took the batteries out,” said Captain Nathan Huffman.

The Sherman Fire Department says they do provide free smoke and carbon monoxide detector to anyone in the area.