Fremont, NE -FREMONT, Neb.Several families lost their homes when an apartment building caught fire

following an early morning explosion.

An explosion in the two-story house that had been converted into apartments

was reported about 4 a.m. CDT Saturday, Fire Department Lt. Jeff Schlautman

said.

Several people, including a woman and child, were taken to a local hospital

with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening. One man was taken to

an Omaha hospital with burns.

Schlautman said a natural gas leak in one of the apartments was believed to

be the cause of the explosion, which destroyed the building.

He estimated about $200,000 in damage was caused by the explosion and fire.

At lease three families lost their homes, Schlautman said, adding that there

were five apartments in the converted house.