Uhrichsville, OH – Seven residents of 6869 Wardell Hollow Road were treated at area hospitals for carbon monoxide exposure after vapors got into their house Wednesday morning.

One victim had to be carried from the residence, but the others were able to leave on their own, Uhrichsville Fire Capt. Nathan Crouse said.

Firefighters responded at 7:33 a.m. after a someone at the house called 911 to report that one resident had started having signs of carbon monoxide exposure, Crouse said. A total of seven people were exposed to the gas — five adults and two children.

The cause was a generator in the garage, which had been running all night, Crouse said. The door to the garage was closed, so vapors got into the house.

Because of the number of people needing transportation to hospitals, Uhrichsville was assisted by crews from New Philadelphia and the Arrowhead Fire District in Gnadenhutten, as well as Smith Ambulance.

A dog was found in a cage in the residence. It also had been exposed to carbon monoxide. After the residents had been treated, firefighters provided oxygen to the dog. Crouse said the county dog warden took the dog to an area veterinarian for further evaluation and treatment.

Crouse reminded residents that gas-powered units like a generator should not be inside a garage. “They should be outside for adequate ventilation, so carbon monoxide is not going into the house,” he said.

He also strongly recommended that everyone who has a gas furnace or a gas stove should have a carbon monoxide detector in the house.