Plainsboro, NJ – A natural gas furnace in a home on the 500 block of Sayre Drive malfunctioned and sent one adult and six children to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning on Tuesday morning.

Elevated levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the home around 6:17 a.m. when Plainsboro Township Emergency Medical Services (EMS) responded to suspected carbon monoxide exposure in the residence.

The occupants were immediately evacuated and the Plainsboro Township Fire Department used testing equipment to confirm elevated levels of carbon monoxide gas within the residence, according to Plainsboro police.

Public Service Electric and Gas (PSE&G) workers responded to the scene and determined the natural gas furnace for the residence was malfunctioning resulting in the elevated levels of carbon monoxide, according to police.

”Further investigation revealed the heating unit had likely been malfunctioning for the last several weeks; however, there were no working carbon monoxide detectors in the residence to alert the family,” Lt. George Cier said.The Plainsboro EMS, assisted by Princeton Plasma Physics EMS, transported seven people, one female adult and six children ranging in age from 6 to 17, to the University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro for evaluation and treatment, according to police.

The individuals exhibited symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning including, headaches, fatigue and nausea, according to the police.

The victims were later released from the hospital in good health but displaced from the residence until repairs can be made by the property owner, according to the police.