Park Ridge, IL- The wife of a Park Ridge businessman who died after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning more than two weeks ago has also passed away.
Joan Kean, 78, died Nov. 17, said her son, the Rev. Brian Kean.
Joan Kean and her husband, Thomas, were both hospitalized on Nov. 4, Brian Kean said, after the Park Ridge Fire Department responded to a call from their Bonita Drive home about a possible carbon monoxide leak. Thomas Kean died shortly after, the fire department reported.
Fire officials determined that a car left running in the home’s attached garage is believed to have caused carbon monoxide to build up inside the house. Thomas Kean’s death was ruled accidental by the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.
A third occupant of the home, identified by Brian Kean as his mother’s caretaker, was also hospitalized after becoming ill, but has recovered, he said.
Joan and Thomas Kean raised six children and were actively involved in their parish, Mary, Seat of Wisdom Catholic Church, their son said. Thomas Kean was the longtime owner and operator of American Tradition, a real estate office on Vine Avenue in Uptown Park Ridge.
A funeral Mass for the couple, who were married 57 years, was held Monday at the church.
Within her parish, Joan Kean was involved with the St. Patrick’s Guild, the Catholic Family Movement, the Council of Catholic Women, and the annual Chez Paris fundraiser, Brian Kean said. She had also directed several plays for junior high-age students at MSW, was a member of the Park Ridge 20th Century Club and served on the board of the Foundation for International Cooperation, an organization dedicated to cultural exchanges and educational travel, he said.
Joan Kean worked as a saleswoman in the transportation industry after her children had entered college, her son said, and after retiring, she volunteered as a minister of care at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital and worked part-time within the Cook County traffic court system.
“Her good humor, optimism and joy for life will be missed,” Brian Kean said.