CA – Sacramento Union — A Sacramento woman and her 6-year-old daughter were in critical condition after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning in their home, Sacramento fire officials said.

The woman’s husband arrived home around 5 p.m. Wednesday to find his wife and daughter lying unconscious inside, said Battalion Chief Niko King of the Sacramento Fire Department.

“The television was on. It looked like they were in their normal routines. The little girl had been watching cartoons,” King said.

The man called 911 and an operator told him to drag his wife and daughter outside.

The 46-year-old woman and the girl were taken to local hospitals, King said.

Both were later transferred to different hospitals for oxygen treatment in hyperbaric chambers, he said. The mother went to the Veterans Administration hospital at Travis Air Force base and her daughter was taken to UC Davis Medical Center.

A defective central heating system was the likely cause of the carbon monoxide leak, King said. The woman’s husband said he’d had it repaired the day before.