Rye Brook, NY – A senior citizen center in Rye Brook was temporarily evacuated on Wednesday after a high level of carbon monoxide was detected.

No senior citizens were using the Anthony J. Posillipo Community Center at 32 Garibaldi Place during the CO leak, according to Rye Brook Police Chief Gerald Austin. He said two village employees were safely evacuated.

Firefighters and police responded and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel checked the condition of two evacuees. No one was reported hurt.

Austin said that CO detectors activated as designed and that Rye Brook Fire Department responded. They found “an elevated level of CO in the building,” Austin said.

The Senior Center is closed for the holiday and there were two village employees present at the time of the alarm, Austin said. “EMS was called as a precaution.”

The apparent cause was due to the boiler and the Senior Center will continue to be closed through Thursday until a heating/ventilation company can come and correct the problem, Austin said.