Spanaway, WA – An early morning explosion in Spanaway sent one man to the hospital.

The explosion occurred in an RV parked at the Walmart store on Mountain Highway East at 8:30 a.m. Thursday.

Ed Hrivnak of Central Pierce Fire and Rescue said the explosion blew out all of the vehicle’s windows, seriously injuring the man who was living inside.

Hrivnak said the explosion was caused by fuels stores inside the RV near an open flame.

Firefighters warn that incidents like this are more likely to occur during cold weather when people whose homes are heated by fuels like propane, heating oil or fireplaces store fuels and cleaning solvents near pilot lights or open flames.

Hrivnak said no other vehicles were damaged. No one else was injured.