Roane County, WV – Police say carbon monoxide poisoning likely killed an elderly couple on Friday in Roane County.

West Virginia State Police identified the victims as John Hassapolis, 85, and Virginia Mogan, 81, who died in their home on Parkersburg Road in Reedy.

Hassapolis was found in a bedroom, and Mogan was found in a bathroom.

Investigators believe the couple suffered carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a defective furnace.

The home had a carbon monoxide detector, but the batteries were not working.

An official cause of death for the victims is pending autopsies at the state medical examiner’s office.

Firefighters say anyone who doesn’t have a Carbon Monoxide (CO) detector — or has one older than five years old — needs to get a new one.

You should put new batteries in your Carbon Monoxide detector every 6 months and regularly test the detector by pressing the button on the outside to make sure it makes a noise.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu and include fatigue, weakness, headaches, nausea, vomiting and chest pain.

Medical experts say symptoms can escalate quickly and say to call 911 immediately if you suspect Carbon Monoxide poisoning.