McLennan County, TX – A man and his daughter are lucky to be alive, a relative, says, after their four-bedroom house exploded late Tuesday afternoon east of Waco just hours after he called his propane supplier to report a gas smell.

Relatives said the company sent someone to the house to check for a possible leak, but evidently none was found.

Some firefighters reported smelling propane when they first arrived, but officials said Tuesday evening it’s not clear whether a gas leak caused the explosion.

They said they plan to ask the State Fire Marshal’s Office to help in the investigation.

The two residents were sitting in the backyard of the home on East Highway 84 just west of FM 1330 when the house exploded late Tuesday afternoon.

They suffered minor cuts and bruises, but were otherwise uninjured.

The man’s nephew said the two often sat out back when the weather was nice and that is apparently what spared them from more serious injury.

Firefighters from Leroy, Elk and Mart responded to the explosion.

McLennan County sheriff’s deputies and Leroy volunteer firefighters were at the scene of the explosion Tuesday evening while family members picked through the rubble of the home to salvage what they could.

The man and his daughter, whose names weren’t immediately available, plan to stay with other family members.