Saginaw, MI – Saginaw firefighters say plans to remodel the home at 507 Maple on the city’s West Side have changed.

After an early-morning fire ignited from a gas leak contained within the walls, it’s now being demolished this afternoon, Saginaw Fire Battalion Chief Edgar Johnson said.

He said the owner had planned to refurbish it.

Firefighters responded to the house about 1 a.m. and cleared the scene after 4 a.m.

“Both sides of the house were bowed out,” Johnson said.

He said, there was an explosion but no one was hurt and it “appeared to be a natural gas incident.”

Gas at the 869-square-foot brick home with a taxable value of $26,254 is owned by Dan Dewey of Saginaw. Johnson said the estimated loss is $53,000.

Johnson didn’t know if the home was currently being lived in.