Reboboth, MA- A family overcome by carbon monoxide fumes in their Homestead Avenue home Wednesday night were released from the hospital Thursday morning.

None of the victims had to be admitted to the hospital, Fire Chief Robert Pray said Thursday.

Three victims were taken to Hasbro Children Hospital and two were taken to Rhode Island Hospital, both in Providence, after firefighters responded to a report of a carbon monoxide detector activating around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Pray said carbon monoxide gas, which is odorless, colorless and can be lethal at high levels, was caused by venting problems in the home’s boiler room and from smoldering coals in the fireplace that had seeped back into the house.

The incident was one of three reported but the first two were not initially reported to the fire department, Pray said.

“The message I want to send is that we all know carbon monoxide is deadly, odorless and colorless. When a carbon monoxide alarm goes off people should call 911 to get the fire department there with the test meters to determine whether there are high levels,” Pray said. In one case, the homeowners called the alarm company, and in the other, the residents called the oil company, which replaced the alarms, the fire chief said.

According to the state Fire Marshal’s office, problems with heating systems are the primary cause of carbon monoxide in homes.

If the carbon monoxide alarm sounds, fire officials say residents should immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door and call for help.

During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.