Red Lion, PA – Two people went to a local hospital Wednesday night after a furnace malfunction in a vacant Red Lion home possibly exposed them to carbon monoxide, Red Lion’s fire chief said.

Leo Independent Fire Chief Joseph Yahnke said crews were called to a duplex in the 200 block of West High Street shortly after 6:30 p.m., where they found that a furnace problem had forced smoke inside the vacant home.

Two people who live in the duplex’s adjoining home were taken to the hospital in a private vehicle so they could be checked for carbon-monoxide inhalation, he said, adding that was merely a precautionary measure.

Firefighters shut off the furnace and ventilated the vacant building, Yahnke said.