Swanton, MS – Authorities say a freak explosion at a residence in the 100 block of Alice Valley Road in Swanton early Friday night occurred when someone apparently overfilled a 100-pound liquid propane tank.

The family was “very fortunate” they weren’t seriously injured or killed in the 6 p.m. explosion, Maryland State Fire Marshal Ryan Chapman said. The force of the blast blew out a portion of a concrete foundation wall, a window and vinyl siding from the vacation home belonging to Irene and Salvatore Preisinger.

“The top of the tank, with the fill valve and the gauge, blew away from the house rather than through the house,” Chapman said.

The explosion from the tank, which had just been filled earlier in the day, occurred in the dining room while the family was at home. It caused about $5,000 in damage, but Chapman said the couple and their 17-year-old daughter were able to stay there for the weekend by putting a tarp over the damaged portion.

The Salvatore family lives in Arlington, Va., but they spend their weekends at the house during summer. Chapman said they contacted their insurance company.

Volunteers firefighters from Bloomington, Good Will, McCoole, Potomac, Barton, Grantsville and Tri-Towns responded to the scene as did an ambulance from Tri-Towns.