Masontown, WV – A hunting camper exploded in Masontown in Preston County early Tuesday morning.

According to the Masontown Volunteer Fire Department, crews responded to the scene on Pat Cale Road off of Bull Run Road at approximately 6 a.m.

The owner of the camper, of the Parkersburg area, was trying to ignite a propane light. There was a leak, which was followed by an explosion, according to the fire chief.

The owner was burned on his hands, arms and face.His grandson, who was with him, was able to get out of the camper unharmed. The owner was taken to Preston Memorial Hospital.

The camper was a total loss.

The fire will be investigated by the Masontown Volunteer Fire Department.