Friendship, ME – A leaky propane tank exploded setting fire to a home on Harbor Lane July 8, but the occupants and a family friend were able to escape injury.

The fire was reported around 11:30 a.m. at 157 Harbor Lane at the home of Edna and Ernest Simmons, who are siblings. They had just returned to the home with their friend Jackie Freitis from a doctor’s appointment and Freitis noticed the strong smell of propane.

She went around the back of the house to check on the propane tank and saw that it was leaking and covered in ice. They evacuated the house, and shortly after noticing the problem, they heard a bang and the home caught fire.

Witnesses at the scene report the home was a total loss.

No one was injured, but the family is still looking for the pet cat, Spice.

Firefighters and EMS crews from Friendship, Cushing, Warren and Waldoboro responded to the fire.