Cedarville, PA – By KAY RUDDEROW
LAWRENCE TWP. — An early morning fire Tuesday in a camping trailer on Newport-Millville Road near Factory Road, Cedarville, injured one man who had to be flown by medical helicopter to Crozer-Chester Medical Center in Upland, Pa. for treatment.
Carl Rigoli, 33, was staying in a 24-foot trailer that was parked near a relative’s home at that address, according to New Jersey State Trooper Ray Morales.
“The fire began as a result of a propane tank explosion,” Morales said.
Rigoli, he said, suffered burns to the right wrist, up to his right elbow, and to his left hand.
He was listed in serious condition Tuesday afternoon.
Cedarville fire and rescue personnel responded to the 5:41 a.m. call and reported smoke showing when they arrived at the scene.
According to Cedarville Fire Chief Bruce Conti, the man was sleeping inside the trailer parked on the property when the explosion occurred.
Conti said the walls of the trailer were blown out from the explosion, and the camper was destroyed.
No other injuries were reported.
Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour until the victim was airlifted by the state police South Star helicopter from a field near Route 553.