New Port Richey, FL – WKMG-TV – A propane gas explosion in New Port Richey destroys the mobile home of a couple who are winter residents from New York.

Police say the cause of last night’s explosion was a propane gas leak ignited when the stove was lit by 75-year-old Jean Schwieger.

Jean and Harvey Schwieger were flown to a nearby hospital with burns and were listed in critical condition.

The blast left the mobile home in an upended pile and scattered shards of glass, twisted metal and yellow insulation.

The two homes on either side were nearly destroyed. Other homes along the street had windows blown out, carports crumpled and mini blinds melted and curled at the edges. Homes as far as three blocks away felt the damage.