Sandy, OR – A propane explosion sent a Sandy man to the hospital and destroyed his motor home last week.

At 6:47 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 25, Donald Paulson, 58, was trying to light the propane stove in his 19-foot recreational vehicle when the gas exploded.

The force of the blast ripped the roof off the RV, sent windows flying about 30 feet, gave Paulson second-degree burns on his forehead and face and singed the man’s hair to his skull.

Firefighters found Paulson “stumbling around” when they arrived on scene.

“He’s lucky to be alive,” said Sandy Deputy Fire Chief Phil Schneider, who responded to the scene. “But he lost everything. It’s very unfortunate.”

Paulson was taken to Legacy Emanuel Hospital, where he was treated and released early the next morning.

He lived in his RV on the property of the Olaf Oja Lumber Mill, where he works.