Burlington, NC – WFMY News – Investigators say carbon monoxide poisoning may have caused a Burlington man’s death in mid-December.

Fire leaders say they found a radiant propane heater in Terry Graves’ home… along with dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide in the air.

Graves was found dead in his home on December 19.

“The gas in the residence had been shut off since last fall,” says Burlington Deputy Fire Chief Michael Willets. “So it appeared Mr. Graves was using the device to supplement or completely heat his residence.”

Investigators are still waiting on an official cause of death.

They advise everyone to install a carbon monoxide detector in their home, and have heating systems checked regularly to make sure everything is working properly.